MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Special Education (Gifted and Talented Certification)
The University of Alabama’s College of Education Special Education and Multiple Abilities Department offers courses which lead to certification in the area of gifted and talented.
Tuition Per Hour$420
They Bring More to the Classroom — Shouldn't You?
Emphasis is placed on experiences that will lead to an understanding of the special nature and needs of students who are gifted and talented, the application of a variety of instructional models and appropriate educational strategies, and the development of skills necessary to plan and implement differentiated educational programming.
Those who currently hold an Alabama Class B teaching certificate or equivalent if certified in another state are eligible for this program. The online format allows educators to continue to work full-time while pursuing an advanced degree and a new career path. The program includes courses that follow state guidelines and leads to master’s-level teaching certification in Gifted and Talented P-12.
A certification only option is designed for educators who have earned a master’s degree and hold a valid Alabama Class A teaching certificate or equivalent if certified in another state.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceBachelor-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications for the master's degree
The 30 to 36-credit-hour MA program offers courses, following state guidelines, that lead to master’s-level teacher certification. An educator graduating from the program will be eligible to apply for certification in the area of Gifted and Talented P-12 students. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- SPE 501 Diagnosis and Assessment of Exceptional Children and Youth is required for those who have not had an assessment/evaluation course in an undergraduate or another graduate program
- SPE 581 Psychology of Gifted and Talented Children and Youth
- SPE 582 Teaching the Gifted and Talented
- SPE 583 Creative Problem Solving Seminar
- SPE 584 Special Populations in Gifted Education
- SPE 585 Teaching Thinking Skills: Integrating Programs
- SPE 589 Internship in Gifted and Talented*
- BER 500 Introduction to Educational Research
- Foundations Course – approved by advisor
- Advisor approved elective
- SPE 500 Introduction to Exceptional Children and Youth is required for those who have not taken a special education survey course
In addition to required coursework, a passing score on a comprehensive exam is required.
*Two three-credit hour internship courses are required
- Alabama Class B teacher certification or equivalent
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or 3.0 average for the last 60 hours of a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Students are accepted every semester.
- Alabama Class A teacher certification or equivalent
- Master’s degree in education
- 3.0 or higher in completed graduate degree program
Apply as a non-degree distance learning student and indicate ‘Class A Gifted Certification Only’ as the specialty area. A transcript evaluation is required before admission. A completed application includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a Graduate School (non-degree) application.
Students are accepted every semester.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words