Curriculum - MA in Journalism
The online Master of Arts in Journalism requires 31 credit hours of coursework. Students complete a professional project in lieu of a thesis. The program can be completed in less than two years by taking two courses per semester.
Required Courses (13 hours)
- JCM 500 Graduate Studies Orientation - View a sample assignment and the blog's homepage from this course. Students are introduced to real-world digital publication through hands-on experience with WordPress blogging.
- JCM 562 Contemporary Issues in Journalism
- JCM 563 History of Journalism
- MC 550 Communication Research Methods
- MC 551 Seminar in Communication Theory
Cognate Electives (15 hours)
Students have the opportunity to specialize in areas such as writing and reporting, digital media and information, entrepreneurialism and management, and social science and research for journalism. Some elective courses include:
- Advanced Sports Writing
- Digital Media Production Tools
- Entrepreneurial Journalism
- Communication and Diversity
- Mass Media Law
- Seminar in Journalism Research and Scholarship
Professional Project (3 hours)
- JN 597 Master's Project
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Please note that courses are subject to change.