MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Higher Education Administration
Through the Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration degree program, you will learn leadership principles designed to advance your professional career in higher education
Tuition Per Hour$420
Prepare for a Career in Higher Education
You will learn from faculty credentialed in higher education and cover topics in all aspects of the field. Through a curriculum covering a variety of pertinent topics in the field, you will gain a broad-based understanding that expands your skill set and increases your understanding of higher education institutions.
Career opportunities in higher education span across a number of different areas such as advancement, business and financial services, advising, facilities management, alumni relations, distance education, financial aid, admissions, enrollment management, and international programs.
All undergraduate majors are welcome to apply.
- Application DeadlineJuly 15 for fall admission; November 1 for spring admission; May 15 for summer admission
- Required For EntranceBachelor's degree plus acceptable GRE or MAT score
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications
The MA in Higher Education Administration consists of 36 credit hours and is designed for students seeking to enter a range of professional careers in postsecondary education. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- AHE 500 Perspectives on Higher Education
- AHE 507 Student Development Theory I
- AHE 520 The Student in Higher Education
- AHE 540 Organization and Administration of Higher Education
- AHE 550 Finance and Business Affairs in Higher Education
- AHE 591 Seminar in Higher Education: Technology in Higher Education
- AHE 593 Capstone Seminar in Higher Education
- AHE 645 Higher Education/Student Affairs Assessment
- AHE 680 Reading Research in Higher Education
- AHE 685 Multicultural & Diversity Issues in Higher Education
- BER 540 Statistical Methods in Education
- AHE 591 Seminar in Higher Education: Grant Writing in Higher Education
- AHE 603 College and University Teaching
- AHE 644 Academic Program Development and Evaluation
- AHE 670 Higher Education Policy
Admission to the Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
- Writing sample on a recent topic in higher education
*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
- July 15 – fall admission
- May 15 – summer admission
- November 1 – spring admission
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
In Her Own Words
In Her Own Words
Cinnamon Ray Swires
In Her Own Words