EDUCATION SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Secondary Education (Science Certification)
The Educational Specialist (EdS) in Secondary Education Science online degree program is designed to prepare science teachers to become leaders in teaching science in their local settings, in providing professional development in science, and in the administration of science departments by enhancing professional competencies. Emphasis is placed on the National and State Science Education Standards.
Tuition Per Hour$420
The Path to Leadership Starts at Your Fingertips
Current secondary education teachers who earn the degree may be eligible for teacher certification at the specialist level in the following teaching fields: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or General Science. Those who complete the program will acquire knowledge that will assist them in becoming nationally board-certified teachers.
This program can also serve as a bridge for those interested in eventual completion of a science education doctorate. Graduates of the EdS program will have developed the expertise to facilitate positive change at the secondary or postsecondary levels serving in such positions as mentor teachers, curriculum specialists, resource teachers, adjunct and full-time professors, or science content administrators.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceMaster's-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications
The EdS in Secondary Education with science certification requires a total of 33 credit hours of study beyond the master’s degree and may be completed in as little as two years of part-time study. Students will complete 12 credit hours in a teaching field. Teaching field courses are not offered by distance at UA. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- CIE 620 Designing and Conducting Research on Classroom Teaching
- CIE 625 Seminar in Science Education Research
- CSE 665 Improving Science Instruction
- CSE 670 Research and Theory in Secondary Education
- CSE 693 Advanced Workshop in Secondary Education or
- CSE 697 Educational Specialist Degree Research
- Foundations Course – approved by advisor
- Research Course
- BER 540 Statistical Methods in Education or
- BER 600 Quantitative Research Methods in Education or
- BER 631 Inquiry as Interpretation: Qualitative 1
- SPE 500 Introduction to Exceptional Children and Youth is required for those who have not taken a special education survey course
*Up to 12 credit hours in the teaching field graduate science courses can be transferred to the program from other institutions if they meet the following conditions: 1) The teaching field graduate courses must be advisor pre-approved and from an NCATE accredited institution of equivalent value, and; 2) The graduate courses must be within the certification subject teaching field.
Admission to the EdS program requires the following:
- Master’s level certification in secondary general science, secondary biology, secondary chemistry or secondary physics
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- 3.0 GPA or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official test scores from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Applications are accepted each semester.
If the applicant did not receive a master’s degree and certification in Alabama, the completion of this EdS degree will not provide Alabama AA (EdS) level certification. Those seeking licensure outside of Alabama must inquire with the certification agency in the state where EdS level certification is sought.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words