EDUCATION SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Through the EdS in Elementary Education you can be recognized as a specialist and expert in your chosen field.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Model Life-Long Learning and Continue Your Education
Your coursework will focus on the constructivist nature of the teaching-learning process. Courses are taught by the same faculty who teach on the UA campus and can be completed online from any location. The EdS in Elementary Education is perfect for those seeking Alabama Class AA certification or equivalent in another state and interested in expanding their skill set.
You will complete an action research thesis giving you the opportunity to teach a piece of curriculum from your own classroom or school in a new way and compare the results with previous outcomes.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceMaster's level teaching certificate
The EdS in Elementary Education consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- CIE 625 Research Seminar Science Curriculum
- CIE 626 Research Seminar Social Science Curriculum
- CIE 680 Seminar in Mathematics Educational Research
- CRD 690 Advanced Seminar Literacy
- CEE 687 Topical Research Review
- CEE 697 Specialist Degree Research
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Educational Research course: 3 credit hours
- Adviser approved research course: 3 credit hours
- Adviser approved elective course: 3 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Admission to the Educational Specialist in Elementary Education degree program requires the following:
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Current Alabama Class A certification in Elementary Education or equivalent
- 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Applications are accepted each semester.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words