EDUCATION DOCTORATE (EdD) IN
Instructional Leadership, concentration in Nurse Education
The interdisciplinary course of study prepares practicing nurses for faculty positions in colleges and universities.
Tuition Per Hour$420
In response to the pressing need to educate a new generation of nurses, UA offers an EdD for Nurse Educators.
Courses are designed and taught collaboratively by Nursing and Education faculty to ensure that students develop the teaching skills, research base, curricular knowledge, and technological expertise needed by faculty in community college and university settings.
Because most students who enroll in the program work full time, coursework is offered in a convenient format. The program combines online courses with just three weekend meetings on campus fall and spring semesters (Friday evening and all day Saturday). Courses are offered online for summer semester.
- Application DeadlineAugust 1
- Required For EntranceRN licensure, MSN
- Other Program SpecificsCohort-based program
Below is sample curriculum in which the program could be completed in three years. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- BEF 644 Philosophy of Science and its Relation to Education
- AIL 600 Integration of Technology in Education and Training
- NUR 531 Nursing Faculty Roles and Responsibilities
- AEL 667 Multicultural and Social Education for Leadership Personnel
- AIL 602 Electronic Instructional Design
- BER 540 Statistical Methods in Education
- AIL 604 Distance Technologies
- BEP 541 Learning Theories and Design of Learning Environments
- NUR 532 Instructional Media in Nursing Education
- BER 631 Inquiry as Interpretation
- NUR 620 Curriculum: Theory and Practice
- AHE 603 College and University Teaching
- BER 640 Quantitative II: Statistical Methods in Education II
- Elective (NUR 540 Nurse Educator Practicum)
- AEL 681 Ethics and Education
- BEF 641 Studies in the Social Foundations of Education
- BER 632 Qualitative Research II
- AEL 695 Seminar in Curriculum and Leadership
- NUR 696 Doctoral Seminar in Research
- BER 633 Qualitative Methods III
Elective (AIL 695 The Nurse Education Dissertation)
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Advance Your Career in Nurse Education
The Capstone College of Nursing and the College of Education at The University of Alabama have partnered to offer a research doctorate that prepares future faculty of nursing for college or university settings.
Nurse Educator Q&A Session
This is a recorded PowerPoint describing The University of Alabama’s distance learning EdD in Instructional Leadership, concentration in Nurse Education program.
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- A BSN from an accredited degree program
- An MSN from an accredited degree program
- An unencumbered RN license in the state in which the student will practice
The above requirements are for unconditional admission. An applicant whose credentials do not meet the above requirements may be considered for conditional admission.
The application deadline is August 1.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words