Through online coursework, in-person field education and occasional weekend skills labs, you can pursue your dreams and earn your Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) through The University of Alabama. This primarily online degree is identical to the widely respected main campus degree, so you can trust that you will be well-equipped for your career.
Program FormatPrimarily Online
Tuition Per Hour$375
Be a Champion for Others
Through research-based curriculum, gain the knowledge you need to serve clients of all ages in health care establishments and mental health and substance abuse centers, as well as school and family settings.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Orientation RequiredYes
- Practicum and Skills LabYes
This program consists of 120 hours of coursework and includes general education requirements, major courses, electives and field education. Most coursework can be completed online*, while the skills labs and field education are in person.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
Lower Division Courses
- SW 100 Introduction to the Fields of Social Work Practice
- SW 101 Orientation to Social Work
- SW 200 History of Social Welfare in the United States
Upper Division Courses
Students must complete 54 hours of general education and Social Work requirements and be accepted to the Professional Program prior to enrolling into 400 level courses.
- SW 310 Professional Writing Seminar
- SW 351 Oppression and Social Injustice
- SW 401 Social Welfare Policy and Services
- SW 410 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- SW 411 Human Development and the Social Environment II
- SW 420 Research for Social Work Practice
- SW 440 Social Work Practice with Individuals and Families
- SW 441 Social Work Practice with Groups
- SW 442 Social Work Practice with Communities
- SW 443 Seminar in Generalist Practice
- SW 444 Field Preparation Seminar
Field Education (9 hours)
- SW 490 Field Education
Electives (6 hours)
- Students select from two approved courses
*Students must transfer in an approved social psychology course to fulfill the SOC 205 or PY 372 requirement.
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Admission to the Bachelor of Social Work program requires a completed admissions application and transcripts to be submitted from all colleges previously attended. Students will select “Social Work” as the major. Transfer students considering admission should review UA’s transfer information and policies.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
Once admitted to the University and prior to completing 400-level professional social work courses, students must be admitted to the BSW Professional Program and meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Completed 50 credit hours at the time of application and completed 54 credit hours prior to starting professional program coursework
- 2.25 GPA overall
- 2.5 GPA in social work courses
- Complete the following courses: SW 100, SW 200, SW 351, PY 101 or PY 105, SOC 101, and BSC 108 or BSC 109
- Placement into college-level math (Math 110 or Math 112 or higher)
Apply to the BSW Professional Program before the priority deadline below.
- February 15 for fall enrollment
- September 15 for spring enrollment
Prior to the start of the program, all students are required to attend a one-day on-campus orientation. Students who do not attend orientation may be administratively withdrawn from the program.
To begin taking 400-level courses, students must first be admitted to the Professional Program.
All students are required to participate in face-to-face skills labs on select Saturdays. Skills labs will be offered in Tuscaloosa.
Courses are offered online. Students are required to have access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection.
Field education is completed in the fall semester. Students are required to successfully complete 450 hours under the supervision of an experienced social worker in a social service agency in one of the following locations in Alabama: Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Montgomery or Mobile.
Prior to entering the field, students must earn a grade of C- or higher in SW 444, attend a three-hour orientation to field education and obtain a background check. Corequisites include enrolling in field seminar SW 443 or SW 445.
Students complete a minimum of 32 hours per week during normal business hours or can complete an extended option to consist of a minimum of two full normal business-hour weekdays per week. Students seeking the extended option must indicate it on the field application and receive approval from the field instructor and field coordinator. All field work must occur Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., in an approved social work setting.
Additional field education hours may be approved, and there may also be options for completion in the student’s place of employment with restrictions. All field education placement plans require prior approval by our field education coordinator.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Student Spotlight/Alumni Special
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update