MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Secondary Education (Science 6-12 Certification)
The Master of Arts in Secondary Education with Science Certification online degree program is designed for busy professionals who are interested in increasing their science knowledge and applying those concepts in an instructional setting.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Teach Science on a Higher Level
The program provides science teachers with strong content base and professional development, including how to apply technology to the curriculum.
Students who earn the degree may be eligible for master’s level teacher certification in biology, chemistry, physics or general science. This program follows the National Science Education and National Educational Technology Standards.
The MA in Secondary Education (Science 6-12 Certification) requires 30 credit hours and may be completed in as little as two years of part-time study.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationCouncil for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications
The MA in Secondary Education for Science 6-12 Certification program requires 30 credit hours. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- CAT 531 Computer-Based Instructional Technology
- CSE 530 Modern Secondary School Programs
- CSE 565 Improving Science Instruction
- CSE 576 Improving Science Teaching Through New Technologies
- Foundations course: 3 credit hours
- Educational Research course: 3 credit hours
- Teaching Field: 12 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
Up to 9 credit hours of graduate science courses in the teaching field may be transferred to the program from other institutions if they meet the following conditions: The teaching field graduate courses must be adviser preapproved and from an NCATE-accredited institution of equivalent value, and the graduate courses must be within the certification subject teaching field.
Admission to the MA degree program requires the following:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Alabama Class B teacher certification or equivalent in General Science (6-12), Biology (6-12), Chemistry (6-12), or Physics (6-12)
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation (one from principal/superintendent), statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Applications are accepted each semester.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
In Her Own Words
In Her Own Words
Cinnamon Ray Swires
In Her Own Words