Admission - MA in Secondary Education (Reading Specialist P-12 Certification)
Admission to the MA program requires the following:
- Alabama Class B certification or equivalent
- The Praxis for Teaching Reading (Test Code 5204) is required if certification is in a teaching field other than Elementary, Early Childhood, or Collaborative Special Education (K-6)
- Two full years of K-12 classroom teaching experience
- Complete the Supplement EXP form to verify two full years of teaching experience.
- Send the form to:
The University of Alabama
Attention: Dawn Bryant
College of Education
Student Services and Certification
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program
A completed application package includes the following materials:
- Three letters of recommendation must describe teaching ability and potential for leadership in literacy instruction - submit to both the Graduate School and Dr. Julianne Coleman at email@example.com
- Statement of purpose
Additionally, a departmental application and participation in an interview process is required.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.