MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Secondary Education (Reading Specialist P-12 Certification)
Reading specialists devote their time to reading instruction while engaging in activities to promote literacy among students, parents, other educators and the community alike. This is especially important to improving the overall reading performance of students in addition to enhancing their future educational opportunities and outcomes.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Help Students Excel at Reading
Educators in this program will participate in curriculum consisting of theory, application, assessment, and implementation of research-based instruction through a supervised practicum experience. The practicum experience, composed of hands-on fieldwork, is designed to develop the skills necessary to teach students as well as to train other teachers in the area of literacy.
The online format provides educators with an opportunity to pursue a new career path within education while continuing to work as a classroom teacher. Students who complete the program receive a master’s degree in secondary curriculum, teaching, and learning. The degree is available to both elementary and secondary school teachers. P-12 reading specialist certification is recommended with successful completion of this program.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's-level teaching certificate and two years of teaching experience
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications
The MA in Secondary Education for Reading Specialist Certification consists of 30 to 33 credit hours. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- CIE 577 Second Language Acquisition
- CRD 510 Expanding Reading in the Elementary Grades
- CRD 511 Beginning Reading in PK-Primary Grades
- CRD 590 Seminar in Literacy Coaching
- CRD 593 Practicum in Literacy Coaching – covers students in a variety of grade levels
- CRD 595 Practicum – covering PK-2nd grade
- CRD 654 Re-envisioning Literacy Assessment for Diverse Learners
- CRD 695 Advanced Practicum in Reading Education – covering 3rd – 6th grade
- CRD 696 Advanced Reading Specialist Practicum – covering middle and high school students
- BER 500 Introduction to Educational Research or BER 550 Evaluation of Classroom Learning (only for those who have not taken an evaluation of classroom learning course)
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
All courses are offered online.
In order to receive Alabama Class A Reading Specialist P-12 certification, individuals must hold Alabama Class B certification and complete the course requirements including 300 clock-hours of supervised practicum. Additionally, students must pass a comprehensive exam and the Praxis for Reading Specialist.
Admission to the MA program requires the following:
- Alabama Class B certification or equivalent
- Two full years of K-12 classroom teaching experience
- Complete the Supplement EXP form to verify two full years of teaching experience.
- Send the form to:
The University of Alabama
Attention: Dawn Bryant
College of Education
Recruitment and Admissions Services and Certification
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program
*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes the following materials:
- Three letters of recommendation must describe teaching ability and potential for leadership in literacy instruction
- Statement of purpose
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
In Her Own Words
In Her Own Words
Cinnamon Ray Swires
In Her Own Words