MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Secondary Education (English Language Arts 6-12 Certification)
Hone your skills as an English Language Arts educator and earn a degree from a university you trust without the hassle of commuting to campus.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Your master's, your schedule
The online Master of Arts in Secondary Education for English Language Arts certification was designed for busy, working professionals like you who have an interest in earning an advanced degree online from a reputable institution.
Through this degree program you will explore ways to create environments that stimulate and challenge students to be engaged in the active processes of language use and learning. You will cultivate your abilities as an English Language Arts teacher by actively participating in research-based opportunities to thoughtfully plan and implement, and then critically evaluate and reflect on curriculum, instruction and assessment.
This program is designed for teachers currently certified at the bachelor’s level in Secondary Education English Language Arts who are seeking an advanced degree and master’s-level certification. The program’s coursework reflects standards from the National Council of Teachers of English and the National Educational Technology Standards for Students and Teachers.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceBachelor's-level teaching certificate
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications
The MA in Secondary Education for English Language Arts 6-12 Certification consists of 30 credit hours. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- BER 500 Introduction to Educational Research
- CAT 531 Computer-Based Instructional Technologies
- CSE 530 Modern Secondary School Programs
- CSE 563 Improving Language Arts Instruction
In addition to coursework, students must pass a comprehensive written examination prior to completion of the program.
- Electives: 3-6 credit hours
- Foundations: 3 credit hours
- Teaching Field: 12 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
To be considered for regular admission to the MA degree program, students must meet the following requirements:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Alabama Class B teacher certification or equivalent in the area of secondary education English Language Arts
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation (one from principal/superintendent), a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Applications are accepted each semester.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want to help you tell a legendary story, and that begins with a premier education and strong support. You can succeed at earning your degree from wherever you are. Want to know more? Let our graduates tell you their Bama By Distance stories.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words