MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Communication Studies, specialization in Organizational Leadership
An online MA in Communication Studies from The University of Alabama can help you develop a deep understanding of the theory and strategy behind impactful, decisive communication.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Communicate and lead more effectively with an online master's degree in Communication Studies.
Whether you want to move up in your company or make a career change, this program is designed to help you understand the role that communication plays in an organization. Learn how to foster effective leadership and improve group and interpersonal dynamics.
The curriculum provides you with the opportunity to study both theoretical and applied aspects of public discussion, negotiation, persuasion and interpersonal communication. Through the Organizational Leadership specialization, you will gain additional skills that are directly applicable to any workplace.
- Application Priority DeadlineJuly 1 for fall admission; November 1 for spring admission; April 1 for summer admission
The online MA in Communication Studies with a specialization in Organizational Leadership, consists of 30 credit hours of coursework, including 12 hours within the specialization. The program has no advanced math requirements. Students may complete the program in less than two years by taking two classes per semester
Please note that courses are subject to change.
Organizational Leadership Specialization Courses
- COM 555 Conflict and Negotiation
- COM 560 Group Leadership
- COM 571 Seminar in Organizational Communication Theory
- COM 572 Seminar in Organizational Communication: Assessment and Intervention
Communication Studies Core Theory Courses
- COM 525 Gender and Political Communication
- COM 563 Relational Communication
- COM 513 Communication and Diversity or COM 575 Technology, Culture and Human Communication
- COM 561 Human Communication Theory
Method Requirement Courses
- COM 550 Qualitative Research Methods or adviser approved equivalent
Choose an Option
- COM 598 Professional Project
- Submit a Capstone Portfolio for approval upon completion of coursework and COM 598.
- COM 510 Comprehensive Exam Preparation
- Complete a comprehensive exam during the final semester of coursework.
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog. Scroll down to Organizational Leadership emphasis.
Applications are accepted year-round. To be considered for regular admission students must meet both admission requirements:
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program.
Applicants are encouraged to submit a completed Graduate School application by July 1 for fall enrollment, November 1 for spring enrollment and April 1 for summer enrollment. These are priority deadlines, and strong applicants may be accepted after these dates if space is available. A completed Graduate School application must include the following:
- Official transcripts from all institutions previously attended
- Statement of purpose
- Three academic references – Provide the name and email for each reference. Letters of recommendation are not required.
Admissions information from the Department of Communication Studies.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words