Admissions - MA in Advertising and Public Relations, concentration in Marketing Communication Management
Admission to the MA APR program requires the following:
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program.
- Video or written statement of purpose (see below)
- Resume with at least two references (preferable one academic reference and one professional reference)
- Three samples of academic and/or professional work, including one long-form essay or research paper (preferably samples that demonstrate your ability in advertising, PR or a related field)
- Transcripts from previous institutions
- English proficiency scores (for international students – TOEFL iBT preferred, Duolingo accepted)
The statement of purpose can be either a video (preferred max. 5 minutes) or an essay (max. three double-spaced pages) that details (a) how a graduate degree in advertising and public relations would help you address a key issue in the contemporary practice of advertising and public relations, (b) how a graduate degree will help advance your career in advertising and/or public relations, and (c) why you chose to pursue graduate education at The University of Alabama. Preference for admission will be given to applicants that complete the video option over the written option for the statement of purpose.
Priority deadline of June 1 for fall cohort. Priority deadline of November 1 for spring cohort.
Statement of Purpose
M.A. in Advertising and Public Relations
Statement of Purpose Information
The statement of purpose is a requirement for the M.A. in Advertising and Public Relations and the University of Alabama Graduate School. It provides the applicant’s rationale for pursuing graduate studies, and is the most important subjective measure of the applicant’s qualifications. The statement can be either a video (preferred – max. 5 minutes) or an essay (max. three double-spaced pages). Please upload a Word document or a PDF through the Graduate School’s online application system that provides either your written statement of purpose or a URL to your video statement of purpose (a public link either on YouTube or Vimeo – do NOT submit as a password-protected, private link). The statement of purpose must detail three things:
(a) how a graduate degree in advertising and public relations would help you address a key issue in the contemporary practice of advertising and public relations
(b) how a graduate degree will help advance your career in advertising and/or public relations
(c) why you chose to pursue graduate education at The University of Alabama.
For both the written and video statement, please provide your name and email address in the heading of the document. Email the graduate coordinator, Dr. Kenon A. Brown, at email@example.com if you have any questions.