MASTER OF ARTS (MA) IN
Advertising and Public Relations, concentration in Marketing Communication Management
From impression management to brand awareness and marketing, all aspects of the science of communications are important. Members of corporate leadership are increasingly seeing the value in strategic communication in this information age. The online Master of Arts in APR from The University of Alabama offers you a unique way to equip yourself for the leadership level in your career.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Elevate Your Ability and Accelerate Your Career
Faculty with decades of professional and research expertise in advertising, marketing and public relations have collaborated to develop our program. The curriculum will give you advanced knowledge in creating and managing persuasive communication in order to prepare you for success. It will bolster your media competency and enhance your understanding of communication integration, leadership and ethics, data interpretation and audience engagement. With online coursework, you can continue to gain valuable work experience while you earn a degree to complement your career.
- Application Priority DeadlineJune 1 for fall cohort and December 1 for spring cohort
- FeesIBA/MKT courses $250 Culverhouse graduate fee (per course)
- RankingNamed Most Outstanding Educational Program in the nation by PRWeek in 2020
The 30-hour online master’s degree will help create ethically-grounded, globally-aware and business-savvy thought leaders. The program focuses on data-driven strategic planning and understanding the current landscape driving the integration of advertising, public relations and marketing. The curriculum will help you learn to communicate with employees, clients, consumers and their communities to help the organization reach their business and communication goals.
Coursework will include such topics as integrated communications, global marketing management, advanced marketing analysis, digital & social media and brand & reputation communication strategy.
Please note that courses are subject to change.
- APR 551 Foundations of Integrated Communication
- IBA 555 Global Market Management
Data Literacy Courses
- APR 550 Analysis and Insights
- MKT 530 Advanced Marketing Analysis
Leadership and Ethics Courses
- APR 570 Ethics and Professional Development
- APR 593 Global Communication Management
Media Competency Courses
- APR 522 Media Strategy and Analytics
- MKT 540 Introduction to Digital and Social Media Marketing
Audience Engagement Courses
(3 hours-choose one)
- APR 524 Reputation Communication Strategy
- APR 525 Brand Communication Strategy
- APR 598 Integrated Communication Project
Admission to the MA APR program requires the following:
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or a 3.0 average for the last 60 semester hours in a degree program, or a 3.0 or higher in a completed graduate degree program.
- Video or written statement of purpose (see below)
- Resume with at least two references (preferable one academic reference and one professional reference)
- Three samples of academic and/or professional work, including one long-form essay or research paper (preferably samples that demonstrate your ability in advertising, PR or a related field)
- Transcripts from previous institutions
- English proficiency scores (for international students – TOEFL iBT preferred, Duolingo accepted)
Priority deadline of June 1 for fall cohort. Priority deadline of December 1 for spring cohort.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
The statement of purpose can be either a video (preferred max. 5 minutes) or an essay (max. three double-spaced pages) that details (a) how a graduate degree in advertising and public relations would help you address a key issue in the contemporary practice of advertising and public relations, (b) how a graduate degree will help advance your career in advertising and/or public relations, and (c) why you chose to pursue graduate education at The University of Alabama. Preference for admission will be given to applicants that complete the video option over the written option for the statement of purpose.
M.A. in Advertising and Public Relations
Statement of Purpose Information
The statement of purpose is a requirement for the M.A. in Advertising and Public Relations and the University of Alabama Graduate School. It provides the applicant’s rationale for pursuing graduate studies, and is the most important subjective measure of the applicant’s qualifications. The statement can be either a video (preferred – max. 5 minutes) or an essay (max. three double-spaced pages). Please upload a Word document or a PDF through the Graduate School’s online application system that provides either your written statement of purpose or a URL to your video statement of purpose (a public link either on YouTube or Vimeo – do NOT submit as a password-protected, private link). The statement of purpose must detail three things:
(a) how a graduate degree in advertising and public relations would help you address a key issue in the contemporary practice of advertising and public relations
(b) how a graduate degree will help advance your career in advertising and/or public relations
(c) why you chose to pursue graduate education at The University of Alabama.
For both the written and video statement, please provide your name and email address in the heading of the document. Email the graduate coordinator, Dr. Kenon A. Brown if you have any questions.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
In Her Own Words
In Her Own Words
Cinnamon Ray Swires
In Her Own Words