EDUCATION SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Educational Leadership (Instructional Leadership Certification)
Through the EdS in Educational Leadership (Instructional Leadership Certification) degree program, you can hone your supervisory expertise in the areas of policy making, planning, instruction, and program oversight and evaluation in schools and other agencies.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Lead Your School to Greatness
This program is guided by the principles of reflective practice, professional growth and development, individual responsibility, the pursuit of social justice, an ethic of caring, and a commitment to local communities.
Courses are taught by the same faculty who teach on the UA campus and can be completed online. This program leads to Alabama Class AA Instructional Leadership (P-12) Certification.
- Application DeadlineJuly 1 for fall admission; November 15 for spring admission; May 1 for summer admission
- Fees$10 graduate College of Education fee (per hour)
- AccreditationNational Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- Required For EntranceMaster's-level teaching certificate in Instructional Leadership
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications
The EdS in Educational Leadership with Instructional Leadership certification consists of 30 credit hours. Program and courses are subject to change.
- AEL 631 – Strategic Leadership
- AEL 632 – Leading Learning through the Curriculum
- AEL 633 – Leading, Developing, and Mentoring Adult Learners
- AEL 634 – Development and Supervision of Human Resources
- AEL 635 – Ethical, Legal, and Policy Issues in Schools
- AEL 636 – School Finance and Financial Management
- AEL 637 – Leadership and Social Systems
- AEL 638 – Solving the Problems of Practice
- Foundations: 3 credit hours
- BER Research 600 level course
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
In addition to coursework, students must pass a comprehensive exam, complete mentor training and a problem analysis project.
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Admission to the EdS program requires the following:
- A master’s degree from an accredited university
- Alabama Class A certification in Instructional Leadership
- Minimum score of 300 on the GRE or 50th percentile on the MAT*
- Educational experience in teaching and/or leadership
*Test scores are waived for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes official transcripts from all institutions attended, three letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, official test scores, and a Graduate School application.
Submit the following materials to the Department of Educational Leadership, Policy and Technology Studies:
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- An academic writing sample
- An EXP form completed by the Board of Education
- Evidence of leadership and management potential
- May 1 – summer admission
- July 1 – fall admission
- November 15 – spring admission
Note: Prospective students who did not earn a master’s degree from UA or earned a master’s degree more than eight years ago may be required to provide additional documentation.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words