EDUCATION SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader Certification)
Do you want to lead in your school and still engage with students in your classroom? You can become a teacher leader with an EdS in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader Certification).
Tuition Per Hour$420
Leadership Starts in the Classroom
The University of Alabama offers a convenient online degree program with courses taught by the same exceptional faculty who teach on campus. Completion of the degree leads to Alabama Class AA Teacher Leader (P-12) Certification.
Through a focus on research and curriculum, this program equips teachers to meet the needs of today’s students and to elevate the quality of education in their schools by influencing curriculum choices beyond their own classrooms. Coursework will empower you with the leadership skills and knowledge you need to be an effective resource provider, curriculum specialist or school leader who works collaboratively with administrators, colleagues and the community to achieve school-wide goals.
- Application Priority DeadlineJuly 1 for fall admission; November 15 for spring admission; May 1 for summer admission
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
- Required For EntranceMaster's Degree teaching certificate and three years teaching experience
- Other Program Specifics*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications; Cohort-based program
The EdS in Educational Leadership with Teacher Leader P-12 Certification program consists of 30 credit hours and a comprehensive exam. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- AEL 612 – Instructional Supervision & Mentoring Adult Learners
- CIE 620 – Design/Research Classroom Teaching
- CIE 645 – Teaching and Learning Communities
- CRD 690 – Advanced Seminar: Literacy
- BEF 639 – Education Theory and Policy
- BEP 601 – Family, School & Community Relationships
- BER 600 – Quantitative Research Methods in Education
- BER 660 – Evaluation I: Theory and Practice
- SPE 613 – Consult Processing in Special Education Programming
- Foundations: 3 credit hours
- Special education survey course (if not previously completed)
View more information about this program through the University’s catalog.
Admission to the EdS in Educational Leadership (Teacher Leader Certification) program requires the following:
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution
- Current Alabama Class A certification or equivalent
- Three years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting
*Test scores are waived for Fall 2021 semester applications.
A completed application package includes the following:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation (one from principal/superintendent)
- Graduate School application
Submit the following additional items to be included with your application:
- Other documentation of leadership capacity (evidence may include, but is not limited to, professional development activities, grants funded, and presentations/publications)
- Academic writing sample
An original EXP form completed by the Board of Education should be mailed to College of Education, Attention: Dawn Bryant, Box 870231, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0231.
- July 1 for fall admission
- November 15 for spring admission
- May 1 for summer admission
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
Crystal Butler and Darryl Thornton
Accolades and Honors
Bama Blitz Special Edition Student Spotlight/Alumni Update
In Her Own Words