EDUCATION SPECIALIST (EdS) IN
Counselor Education (School Counselor Certification)
Through the EdS in Counselor Education, you can learn cutting-edge techniques to help your students thrive. The coursework focuses on theory, practice and research that will complement your existing education and experience in the field, enhancing your ability to serve a diverse population of students.
Tuition Per Hour$420
Advance Your Techniques to Help Students Thrive
With courses in counseling strategies and play therapy, this program will allow you to strengthen your skills and progress your career at the same time. You can also tailor your coursework to your professional goals and interests through electives.
All classes are available online and are taught by the same faculty who teach on UA’s main campus. Courses are offered in a combination of synchronous and asynchronous online formats. Completion of the degree leads to Alabama Class AA School Counselor (P-12) Certification. This degree program may also count toward professional counseling licensure requirements.
- Application DeadlineApplications accepted year round
- Fees$10 College of Education graduate fee (per credit hour)
The EdS in Counselor Education program consists of 30 credit hours and submission of an electronic portfolio. Please note that courses are subject to change.
- BCE 615 Field Experiences in Counselor Education (6 hours)
- BCE 626 Readings in Counselor Education
- BCE 633 Advanced Seminar: Multicultural Education
- BCE 633 Advanced Seminar: Developmental Guidance: Past, Present, Future
- BCE 653 Intro to Play Therapy
- BCE 698 Non-Dissertation Research or BER Research course
- SPE 506 Working with Families
Additional Requirements (select 6 hours from below)
- BCE 613 Substance Abuse Counseling
- BCE 618 Advanced Theories of Counseling
- BCE 652 Counseling Strategies for Adult-Child Relationships
- BCE 654 Advanced Play Therapy
- BSP 660 Psychopathology
Admission to the EdS in Counselor Education program requires the following:
- Master’s degree in school counseling from an accredited institution
- Current Alabama Class A certification in school counseling or out of state equivalent
- Two years of full-time acceptable P-12 professional educational work experience
A completed application package includes the following:
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate School application
Applications are accepted each semester.
If you reside or intend to seek professional licensure outside of the state of Alabama, please review the requirements for that state prior to applying to this program.
You Can Do It
At The University of Alabama we want your story to be legendary and it should start with an excellent education and great support. We can help you achieve that from anywhere in the world.
Can I have a master’s degree in any field and apply to the program?
No, you must have a master’s in School Counseling.
Is the GRE or MAT required for admission into the program?
No, you do not need a GRE or MAT entrance exam to be admitted into the program.
Do I have to come to campus for any classes?
No, the program is completely online. While you’ll always be welcome as a member of the University community, including an invitation to participate in the commencement ceremony, you will not be required to come to campus for any classes.
Who teaches the courses?
The same professors who teach on-campus courses teach the online courses.
Is this a cohort-based program?
No, this is not a cohort-based program. Students are admitted each semester (fall, spring and summer).
Inspiring stories of success from students and alumni.
Take a look at some of our Bama By Distance stories.See All Stories
In Her Own Words
In Her Own Words
Cinnamon Ray Swires
In Her Own Words