Curriculum - EdD in Higher Education Administration Executive Cohort
This degree program consists of 54 credit hours of coursework and 12 credit hours
of dissertation research.
- AHE 510 The Community College An overview of the development, format, issues, and purposes of the contemporary community
and junior college.
- AHE 511 Orientation in Higher Education Introduction to structure, processes, and study of higher education organizations,
including community colleges, technical schools, and universities.
- AHE 520 The Student in Higher Education A survey of the needs, characteristics, and cultures of the American college student
within various types of higher education institutions.
- AHE 521 Student Affairs An overview of the organization, personnel, and practices of student affairs and related
higher education functions in U.S. colleges and universities. The course is designed
to increase student understanding of how student services, student activities, and
student development tasks are organized, administered, and assessed. Students will
explore the main issues, roles, constituencies and expectations affecting individual
professionals as well as the profession as a whole.
- AHE 530 Law in Higher Education Investigates and explicates the structure and background of law and equity in higher
education, with emphasis on how statutory law, administrative law, and case law respond
to and affect faculty, students, administrators, and trustees. Constitutional law,
contracts, torts, the law of private associations, civil rights statutes, executive
orders, injunctions, specific performance, corporate and partnership law, law of agency,
and laws on liability are studied as they apply to higher education.
- AHE 540 Organization and Administration of Higher Education Overview of the organization, administrative roles and positions, administrative process,
and administrator relationships within various institutions of higher learning.
- AHE 550 Finance and Business Affairs in Higher Education An overview of the budgeting processes, sources of revenue, types of expenditures,
and issues and innovations in financing various types of contemporary institutions
of higher education. Also a survey of the various business and planning operations
vital to the operation of colleges and universities.
- AHE 560 Comparative Higher Education This course is designed to provide a cross-cultural perspective on issues related
to higher education throughout the world. The course will focus on topics such as
reform, students and student activism, internal and external governance of universities,
unions, and the academic profession in key world regions.
- AHE 591 Seminar in Higher Education A topical seminar on a current issue or problem in higher or postsecondary education.
On occasion, the seminar involves travel or on-site visitations to institutions or
- AHE 600 Student Development Theory I Introduction to the theoretical basis for the delivery of services through organizational
student development, and a study of the research basis for student development.
- AHE 601 Professional Seminar in Higher Education This course is designed for students newly admitted to the doctoral program in higher
education administration. As such, the seminar concentrates on issues and concerns
that arise as part of the doctoral experience. Course activities and experiences may
vary according to the professional experience and academic background of course participants.
- AHE 602 Problems in Higher Education Seminar studying the current issues and trends related to higher education.
- AHE 603 College and University Teaching An intensive graduate seminar that provides an overview of the issues, principles,
and practices associated with effective college teaching. Topics include learning
and diversity; teaching models and strategies; teacher and student behaviors and learning
outcomes; and instructional improvement strategies.
- AHE 607 Student Development Theory II Provides a comprehensive study of student growth and development during the college
years. The course is designed to address professionals in student affairs and higher
- AHE 610 Academic Cultures and Learning An intensive examination of the student, faculty, and administrative cultures in higher
education environments. The impact of various internal and external factors on institutional
culture and behavior will also be studied, particularly as they relate to teaching,
learning, research, and service.
- AHE 620 Power, Politics, and Change in Higher Education Systems A study of higher education institutions as complex organizations within a framework
of local, state, and federal domains. Attention is focused on the institution as a
dynamic political entity that continually undergoes change. State-level coordination
and systems behavior are also examined.
- AHE 640 Organizational Change in Higher Education Colleges and universities face tremendous challenges; the need for change—and for
change agents—has never been greater. This course examines organizational change both
theoretically and practically in higher education.
- AHE 641 Personnel and Human Resource Management in Higher Education Need for and types of personnel; recruitment, advancement, and security of personnel;
salaries, wages, and benefits; and problems peculiar to college personnel.
- AHE 642 Institutional Research and Assessment in Higher Education An overview of the institutional research and analysis techniques utilized in contemporary
higher education. The course is configured for those with an interest in conducting
institutional research and/or working in offices of institutional research on the
campus, system, and/or state level.
- AHE 643 Grant Writing and Contract Management An introduction to the legal principles of contracts and grants in higher education,
including how to identify funding sources, make the proposal, and manage the project.
Statutory, administrative, and case law will be studied as they relate to making the
proposal and managing the project.
- AHE 644 Academic Program Development and Evaluation in Higher Education Design and management of academic programs; study of institutional structures for
academic affairs; practice in program review for instructional improvement; and overview
of graduate programs (general and liberal education, as well as occupational and professional
- AHE 660 Case Studies in Higher Education This course is designed to enhance an understanding of decision making in higher education.
Based on case studies, students will analyze, propose policies, generate action plans
and implementation procedures, and assess the potential consequences of their administrative
- AHE 670 Higher Education Policy and Finance This course will introduce students to the essential elements of higher education
policy and finance. Students will examine the main financing options of colleges and
universities; college costs and pricing; financial aid policy, and emerging policy
- AHE 680 Reading Research in Higher Education The purpose of this course is to provide students with skills that enable them to
understand and synthesize current research in higher education.
- AHE 690 Directed Doctoral Study in Higher Education Prerequisites: Permission of the instructor and prior approval of study topic. Directed
individual study and analysis of a problem confronting higher education. Note: Frequently,
special one-time-only seminars focusing on a particular aspect of higher education
are offered by program faculty under this course number.
- AHE 699 Dissertation Research Directed dissertation research in the field of higher education. Enrollment is subject
to program regulations and permission of the student's dissertation committee chairperson.
Also offered in summer school.
Please note that courses are subject to change.