Curriculum - BS in Food and Nutrition
The bachelor's in Food and Nutrition requires the successful completion of 120 hours. The program requires 56 hours of major courses, 20 hours of science courses and 44 hours of general education courses.
Required Major Courses:
- NHM 101 Intro to Human Nutrition
- NHM 195 Intro to Dietetics & Nutrition
- NHM 201 Nutrition in the Life Cycle
- NHM 253 Food Science
- NHM 295 Intro to Research in Food and Nutrition
- NHM 340 Community Nutrition
- NHM 361 Nutritional Biochemistry
- NHM 362 Nutrition at the Cellular Level
- NHM 363 Applied Nutrition
- NHM 365 Medical Nutrition Therapy I
- NHM 372 Intro to Food Service Management
- NHM 373 Purchasing, Design & Risk Management in Food Service Systems
- NHM 374 Quantity Food Production & Service
- NHM 441 Nutrition Education
- NHM 442 Nutrition Care Process - View a sample of this course where students are asked to watch and participate in an interactive review where they are asked to identify different counseling techniques.
- NHM 454 Experimental and Functional Food Science
- NHM 465 Medical Nutrition Therapy II
- NHM 475 Management of Food Service Systems
- NHM 491 Directed Professional Independent Study
- PY 101 Introduction to Psychology
- BER 345 Educational Statistics
Required Science Courses:
Students are required to complete the following 5 science courses. Each course has a 3 hour lecture with a 1 hour lab. Please note that these courses are not offered by distance at UA.
- CH 104 Introduction to Chemistry
- CH 105 Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- BSC 215 Anatomy and Physiology I
- BSC 216 Anatomy and Physiology II
- BSC 242 Microbiology
Please note that courses are subject to change.