Becoming a Registered Dietitian - BS in Food and Nutrition 

In order to become a Registered Dietitian you must:

  1. Complete the minimum of a Bachelor's degree;
  2. Complete the requirements of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) to earn a Verification Statement;
  3. Apply and complete an ACEND accredited Supervised Practice program such as a Dietetic Internship (DI), a Coordinated Program (CP), or an Individualized Supervised Pathway (ISPP);
  4. Pass the national registration examination for dietitians. Beginning in 2024, students must have earned a master’s degree in order to sit for the RD exam. More information on this requirement can be found here.

The Food and Nutrition major at UA satisfies part of the requirements that lead to the registered dietitian credential: a Bachelor’s degree and a didactic program in dietetics Verification Statement.

Read more about becoming a dietitian at and then click on the "Student" tab.

Once a student has been admitted as a student at UA and when basic requirements have been completed, the student must submit a DPD Declaration Form

To complete and meet all the DPD requirements for a Verification Statement, a student:

  • Must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Must make a B- or higher in all DPD Professional courses (NHM designated and BER 345) or equivalent
  • Must make a C- or higher in all “DPD Science courses” and PY 101 (or equivalent)
  • Must complete the courses required for the DPD
  • Must earn at the minimum a bachelor’s degree
  • Must complete 24 credit hours of DPD courses, including the DPD Capstone courses (NHM 340, NHM 465 and NHM 475) from The University of Alabama
  • May only have a total of 2 retakes in one “DPD Professional Course” (NHM designated and BER 345), or 1 retake in up to two different DPD Professional Courses (excluding original attempt) to earn the required grade. 

Note: The re-take policy applies to all DPD Professional courses and BER 345 equivalent courses regardless of whether they were taken at UA or transferred from another institution.

 (Updated: September 2018)