Curriculum - MA in Special Education (Gifted and Talented Certification)
The master of arts degree program offers courses, following state guidelines, that
lead to master's-level teacher certification. An educator graduating from the program
will be eligible to apply for certification in the area of Gifted and Talented P-12
- SPE 581 Psychology of Gifted and Talented Children and Youth
- SPE 582 Teaching the Gifted and Talented
- SPE 583 Creative Problem Solving Seminar
- SPE 584 Special Populations in Gifted Education
- SPE 585 Teaching Thinking Skills: Integrating Programs
- SPE 589 Internship in Gifted and Talented - Summer Enrichment Workshop
- SPE 589 Internship in Gifted and Talented (or 3 approved hours from a previous master's-level
- SPE 501 Diagnosis and Assessment of Exceptional Children and Youth
- Foundations Course - approved by advisor
- SPE 606 Topical Seminar in Special Education: Bibliotherapy for Exceptional Students - suggested
course; other electives must be approved by advisor.
- SPE 500 Introduction to Exceptional Children and Youth is required for those who have not
taken a special education survey course and is not included in the 30 credit hours.
Total = 30 credit hours
Please note that courses are subject to change.