Becoming a Registered Dietitian - BS in HES with a major on Food & Nutrition
In order to become a Registered Dietitian you must:
- Complete the minimum of a Bachelor's degree;
- Complete the requirements of an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD)
to earn a Verification Statement;
- Apply and complete an ACEND accredited Supervised Practice program such as a Dietetic
Internship (DI), a Coordinated Program (CP), or an Individualized Supervised Pathway
- Successfully complete the Registered Dietitian (RD) examination.
Read more about becoming a dietitian at www.eatright.org and then click on the "Student" tab.
The Food and Nutrition major at UA satisfies part of the requirements that lead to
the registered dietitian credential: a Bachelor’s degree and a didactic program in
dietetics Verification Statement.
Once a student has been admitted as a student at UA and when basic requirements have
been completed, the student must submit a DPD Admission Application Form (Click here to see the requirements and a copy of the form.)
To be eligible for a Verification Statement, a student must meet all of the following requirements:
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 of higher;
- Complete a minimum of 24 credit hours of DPD courses, including the DPD Capstone courses
- Earn a grade of C- or higher in all DPD science courses (CH 104 & 105; BSC 215, 216, & 242; and PY 101);
- Earn a grade of B- or higher in all DPD professional courses (NHM 100-400 level and BER 345 or equivalent);
- May only have a total of 2 retakes in one DPDP professional course or 1 retake in
up to 2 different DPD professional courses;
- Complete a Bachelor's degree.
(Updated: August 2015)